How to Apply to University of Johannesburg (UJ)
UJ has TWO different methods of applying. You have the option to choose only ONE of the following:
ONLINE Web Application = FREE
OFFLINE Paper Application = R200 (click here to download the hardcopy application form)
- Applicants must have a valid email address in order to apply online. All Communication with regard to your application will be sent via email/sms. Should you not have a valid email address you can create an email account using Gmail,Yahoo Mail or any other email provider you may prefer.
- Online application related enquiries may be sent via email to email@example.com or you may contact the UJ Call Centre on 011 559 4555.
Qualifications phasing out and articulation/progression routes
Please click HERE to download a full list of undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications that will be phasing out. This list also contains articulation/progression routes for these phased out/phasing out qualifications.
Admission for international applicants is subject to meeting the compliance requirements as stipulated by the Immigration Act No 13 of 2002, the regulations made there under and the ;University’s policy. Application and closing date.
Applications open on 1 April of the year proceeding the year of study and close on 30 September at 12:00 noon. You may apply online at www.uj.ac.za and follow a link to Apply@UJ, or you may download the application form, which should either be submitted to the Student Enrolment Centre or mailed to the University.
Please note: All applicants are advised not to send cash by mail or leave documents and cash with any unauthorised persons.
All international applicants should take note of the following:
- Submit a completed application form with the following certified supporting documents:
- Sworn English translation of documents (applicants from non-English medium schools only)
- Provide proof of a non-refundable application fee of R200.00
- The University of Johannesburg offers applicants a first and second choice in terms of what they wish to study. All applicants should fill in both a first and a second choice on the application form.
- Submit completed application for on-campus residence with proof of payment for the applicable deposit.
Undergraduate degree-seeking applicants
In order to study for a South African degree, applicants are required to have achieved the equivalent of a South African National Senior Certificate with a degree endorsement. All international applicants with high school results or qualifications achieved outside of the
Republic of South Africa require a certificate of exemption from the Matriculation Board of
South Africa for admission into undergraduate studies. All degree-seeking applicants are required to submit the following supporting documents which must be certified for submission to the Matriculation Board (HESA):
- Completed Form M30 (this form can be downloaded on the Matriculation Board website www.hesa-enrol.ac.za)
- Certified copies of the applicant’s educational results or qualifications certified by a South African High Commission, Consulate, Trade Mission or a Public Notary in your home country
- A certified copy of your passport or birth certificate certified by a South African High
- Commission, Consulate, Trade Mission or a Public Notary in your home country
- Exemption fee as determined by the Matriculation Board (see website www.hesa-enrol.ac.za)
- Sworn English Translation of documents (applicants from non-English medium schools only)
Contact Details – Matriculations Board
UNISA Sunnyside Campus
Building 3, Level 1
Cnr Rissik and Mears Street
0132 Sunnyside, Pretoria
Tel no: +27 12 481 2847/8
Fax no: +27 12 481 2922
Diploma and certificate-seeking applicants
Should you wish to apply for a certificate or diploma qualifications you do not require an endorsement or conditional exemption from the Matriculation Board (HESA).
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
The University policy requires non-English speakers to sit for the internationally recognised English language competency test called IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The required minimum admission score is 6 for undergraduate and 7 for post-graduate studies. The IELTS Website address is: http://www.ielts.org. An admitted applicant is required to submit IELTS results for registration at the university.
TOEFL (overall 60–68) which is equivalent to the IELTS 6 for undergraduate studies)