Nelson Mandela University Postgraduate Programme Application
Applications for academic admission 2018
Please note that academic applications for 2018 are now CLOSED. Only masters and doctoral candidates may still apply.
Change of programme (course)
Applicants are permitted only TWO further opportunity to change their choice of programme to study in 2018. This is in addition to the two choices provided for during the initial application.
You can make your change at: http://webapps.mandela.ac.za/ChangeOfChoice/
Before submitting an application, applicants are urged to make certain that they do qualify directly by referring to the Undergraduate Guide 2018 under Forms and documents for their chosen programme of study and that it is not full or have additional selection criteria (Example: Portfolio, interviews, testing, etc.).
The deadline for submission of applications for change of programme is 19 January 2018.
NB: If you submit multiple requests to change your choice of programme only your 1st request will be attended to and any later requests will be ignored.
Kindly note the turnaround time for applications and requests is 20 working days during peak periods.
Please check your Admission Status on the Portal to see when the Application changes have been processed (http://www.mandela.ac.za/Apply/Admission/Check-your-admission-status).
Master’s and doctoral degrees by research candidates can apply at any time of the year – application is free. Postgraduate applicants must also complete the relevant Postgraduate form (U24) in addition to the standard Postgraduate application form.
You may apply by following one of these routes:
- Apply online (currently closed);
- Download an application form (only Postgraduate applications); or
- Request an application form (only Postgraduate applications) by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (041) 504 1111.
- Postgraduate applicants must also complete the relevant Postgraduate form in addition to the standard Postgraduate application form (which can be found on the right-hand side of this page). For information on postgraduate programmes, please consult the General Information and Admission Requirements for Postgraduate Programmes.
- Make sure you have paid the Application fee (international students only), before submitting your application form (see below for methods of payment).
- Your application form must be accompanied by:
- (i) a certified copy of your final Grade 11 report and;
- (ii) a most recent Grade 12 (June/Sept) report (No March results), or if you have already passed the matriculation examination, a certified copy of your matriculation certificate, or results as well as certified copies of diploma/degree certificates and academic records for postgraduate applications,
- (iii) a certified copy of your ID/Passport,
- (iv) a certified copy of the identity document of your parent/legal guardian/surety,
- (v) declaration by your parent / legal guardian / surety if you are a dependent, or currently at school, or studying at a tertiary institution, or have recently left school and do/will not have permanent employment when applying or studying at the university.
- Either an acknowledgement letter or outcome of your admission will be sent to you within 10 working days during April to June. During the period leading up to the closing dates stipulated above the turnaround time will be 14 – 20 working days.
- If your admissions points and school subjects do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen programme, you may be requested to write an access assessment test.
- Some programmes have additional selection requirements; please consult the Undergraduate Guide for your specific faculty which can be downloaded from the links on the right of this page.
- You may track the status of your application.
- The outcome of your application will be conveyed to you via sms, or a letter posted to your postal address. Please ensure that we have your correct cell phone number.
- If you are provisionally admitted you will receive an Orientation Booklet together with registration information in November/December.
- Final acceptance is subject to your final NSC results meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen programme.
- You can use one of the following methods to pay application fees:
- Money order (purchased at a post office)
- Postal order (purchased at a post office)
- Cheque. The cheque must be crossed and marked “not transferable”.
- Cashiers: payment can be made personally at the university.
- Please do not send cash in the post.
Applicants who have studied at other tertiary institutions
- In order to ensure adequate time for processing, assessment testing and planning by the university and yourself, applications for admission in 2018 should be submitted by 1 August 2017 – No application fee for South African applicants.
- Late applications will be considered after this date based on academic merit until 30 September 2017 – No application fee for South African applicants.
- Submit together with your application form, a certified copy of your official academic record and certificate of conduct as well as a certified copy of your school leaving certificate.
- Should you be applying for module exemptions, download the module exemption form and complete it and note that there is a module exemption fee to be paid before the exemption can be processed. You must attach copies of module outlines/syllabus.
- The application fees above are applicable for International applicants.
The Admissions Office
PO Box 77000
Nelson Mandela University
Banking Account Details
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch code: 051001
Account No.: 080263011
Reference: Write the word: Application and your name
Fax payment receipt to: 041 504 4722
Please attach a copy of the direct deposit or proof of payment to your application form.
Allow three working days for processing. Also keep a copy of the direct deposit or proof of payment should be in your possession at all times.
Clearly indicate the following on the postal or money order or on the back of your cheque:
- Your full initials and surname
- Write the words: “payment of application fees”
- Payable to Nelson Mandela University. The original money or postal order or cheque must be stapled to your application form.
Application fees are non-refundable. Payment of application fees does not guarantee entry to the university. Please do not send cash in the post.
Forms and documents
|Application Guidelines for 2018 (152 kB)|
|Declaration by parent 2018 (63 kB)|
|Postgraduate Application Form (138 kB)|
|Postgraduate Application U24 (75 kB)|
|Application to change diploma or degree (9.4 kB)|
|Exemption Form (158 kB)|
|Postgraduate Programmes (1 MB)|
|Nelson Mandela University study fields 2018 (1.8 MB)|
|Full Undergraduate Guide 2018 (5.4 MB)|
|Faculty of Arts Guide 2018 (3 MB)|
|Faculty of Business & Economic Sciences Guide 2018 (3.1 MB)|
|Faculty of Education Guide 2018 (3 MB)|
|Faculty of Engineering, the Built Environment and Information Technology 2018 (3 MB)|
|Faculty of Health Sciences Guide 2018 (3.1 MB)|
|Faculty of Law Guide 2018 (3 MB)|
|Faculty of Science Guide 2018 (2.9 MB)|
|George Campus Guide 2018 (3 MB)|
|BTech and Advanced Diploma application form (157 kB)|
|Application info for 2018 (1.2 MB)|
|Request for module credits (226 kB)|