University of the Free State (UFS) Postgraduate School
About University of the Free State (UFS) Postgraduate School
The University of the Free State’s Postgraduate School was launched on 20 May 2011, and provides a hub of different services for postgraduate students. These services include research capacity-building services, a funding office, academic writing development, an information desk, research skills training courses for postgraduate students running throughout the year, and social activities for postgraduate students. We value our postgraduate students and want to provide them with professional academic development and support services and opportunities to ensure a fulfilling postgraduate journey.
University of the Free State (UFS) Postgraduate School Services we offer
- Research Skills training: Research skills training runs throughout the year, and covers various aspects of the research process appropriate for students in different disciplines and at different stages of postgraduate study. We believe that postgraduate education should focus not only on the completion of a thesis or dissertation, but also on the development of the researcher; and if we wish to focus on the development of the researcher, research education has to include more than training in a discipline.Our workshops cover topics such as getting started as a research student, qualitative and quantitative research, avoiding plagiarism, writing a literature review, academic writing skills, scientific writing skills, how to optimally search for and evaluate internet sources, etc. We also offer workshops on different software packages including SPSS, Nvivo, Mendeley, Excel, and more.More information on upcoming courses and workshops can be found on our Training and Development Opportunities page, and to join our mailing list for training courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Funding: The manager of postgraduate funding is responsible for the dissemination of funding opportunities for postgraduate students. She also deals with NRF and other funding calls. For more information see our Funding and Bursaries pages.
- Information Desk: Our information desk is situated in the foyer of the Johannes Brill Building. This is your first stop for any queries related to your postgraduate studies.
- Social Events: Once a month we present a coffee morning to our postgraduate students from different faculties. The aim of this event is to create a social space where students can get to know each other, exchange ideas, brainstorm and to get to know the Postgraduate School staff
- Postgraduate Student Council: Postgraduate students’ perspectives are significant to the way in which the school operates: in addition to making the school a more democratic space, the school can only serve students better if it is serious about listening to the concerns and suggestions of students. To this end, the school supports a Postgraduate Students’ Council which acts as a forum for postgraduate students and hosts its own programme of academic, cultural, and social events. For more information, see the Postgraduate Student Council page.
Quick Links To University of the Free State (UFS) Postgraduate School
Other Related Postgraduate Schools In South Africa