Wits University Online Learning Certificate Courses
As the official Centre for Part-Time studies at the University of the Witwatersrand, Wits Plus offers a range of short courses and certificate programmes.
Wits Plus has recognised the fact that access to contact-based classes is impossible for a large section of our professionals. We have responded to the challenge and are in the process of developing a number of ONLINE courses.
- Short Courses Overview
- These qualifications are ideal for the mature working person who wants to acquire new skills and knowledge, advance their career or even make a career change.
- All courses are offered on a part-time basis by attending evening and/or Saturday classes. Participants attend class once or twice a week (depending on the course).
- Most courses run over 12 weeks (one two-hour lecture a week) with a revision session in week 13 and a final assessment in week 14.
- Wits Plus also offers one year (full-year) courses. These courses only commence at the beginning of the year.
Kindly note that on the instruction of the Council on Higher Education (CHE) short courses will NOT in future refer to ‘NQF levels’ – these Wits Course Level (WCL) descriptors are being phased in.
- Entrance requirements
Our courses are designed to assist people who are ready and prepared for tertiary education. Entrance criteria differ from course to course. However, a specific course makes most sense if an applicant is working in the particular field.
For certain courses, prerequisite abilities in English, mathematics, economics or computer literacy are applied – so applicants are strongly advised to ensure that they meet the requirements.
- Fees for short certificate courses
The fees for the various courses are different – download the list of Short Course Fees 2018.
In addition to the course fees stipulated in the table below, students also need to provide for the following:
- Wits student card (ICAM) costs: approximately R150
- Parking disc fees apply: arrangements need to be made with the parking office.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE WITS POLICY ON SHORT COURSES CLEARLY STIPULATES THAT ALL SHORT COURSE FEES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE.
- Application information
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED
To apply for a course, go to the list of courses and click on the COURSE FEE to download the application form. Watch these step-by-step instructions to apply. You will not be able to access the form if the course is not available.
If you want to apply for more than one course, you need to complete the specific form for each course.
Application forms should be completed and delivered at the Wits Plus office on the West campus at Wits University in Braamfontein. We do not accept faxed, emailed or mailed application forms or cash at the Wits Plus offices.
A R250-00 non-refundable application fee is payable per course upon application. This fee is included in the course fee and will be deducted when the invoice is produced.
Please ensure that your application is accompanied by:
- A certified copy of your ID/passport.
- A certified copy of your Matric certificate/school leaving certificate, and post school certificates (with full academic transcripts)
- A brief CV (not more than three pages).
Ensure that you include your land line phone number and an email address on the application form.
If your application is successful, you will receive a letter of acceptance and a pro-forma invoice (made out to you or the sponsor – depending on who is liable for settling the account) via email. Payment for the course should be made prior to the registration date for the course, which will be indicated on your letter of acceptance.
All applicants will have to pay a fee for a Wits ICAM card and those who require parking will have to obtain a parking disc at the prescribed cost at the Wits parking office.
- Contact us
Tel: +27 11 717 9511
Tel: +27 11 717 9503
General Wits Plus Reception
Tel: +27 11 717 9510
List of Short Courses
Applications are currently CLOSED.