Wits University Online Learning BSc Engineering Courses
Part-time students DO NOT qualify for NSFAS or residence accommodation. This means that you need to be able to pay for fees, books and accommodation.
Foreign applicants need a work permit to study on the part-time facility.
- Admission Requirements
Matriculated after 2007 (Please note that the admission requirements differ for each branch):
• Aeronautical APS 40 • Chemical APS 42 • Civil APS 36 • Electrical APS 36 • Industrial APS 40 • Mechanical APS 40 • Metallurgy APS 42 • Mining APS 40
Applicants must have a Level 5 in Mathematics, English and Physical Science and the above-mentioned APS.
If you have matriculated before 2008 the following will apply:
• Aeronautical 24 • Chemical 24 • Civil 24 • Electrical 26 • Industrial 24 • Mechanical 24 • Metallurgy 21 • Mining 20
Applicants must have a D symbol in English HG, and a C symbol in Mathematics HG and Physical Science HG.
Admission Point Score if you have written Grade 12 after 2007 – NSC:
NB: This is a guideline only. Meeting the requirements does not guarantee a place. Final selection is made subject to the availability of places, academic results and other entry requirements where applicable.
Wits tabulates the points score for all subjects on the following basis:
- That English must be taken either as Home Language or as first Additional Language. Foreign students presenting with English as second Additional Language will have the option of a foreign conditional exemption and / or English proficiency tests.
- Maths is compulsory for Commerce, Law and Management – BCom.
- Maths Literacy is not accepted and counts as a normal ‘other subject’.
- Wits does not distinguish between designated vs. non-designated subjects when calculating the admission point score (APS).
- The APS calculation is based on the best seven subjects including Life Orientation. (Note that LIFE ORIENTATION points are different.)
Designated Subjects – NSC:
|Agric Sciences||Engineering Graphics and Design||Mathematics|
|Dramatic Art||Geography||Maths Literacy|
|Visual Art||Religion Studies||Information technology|
|Business Studies||Physical Sciences||All official /some non-official languages|
Admission Point Score if you have passed Grade 12 before 2008 – Senior Certificate:
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
Please apply online – applications are currently CLOSED.
pplications will be processed and registration information will be sent to the applicants who are invited to register online.
A limited number of bursaries is available, offered by MerSETA. Only Mechanical Engineering applicants mayqualify for these bursaries. Bursaries cover tuition fees ONLY – students are responsible for own accommodation, travel, meals and books.
- How does it work?
The first two (2) years of the degree will be offered at Wits Plus over a period of four (4) years. After completion of these two years, students need to move to full-time to complete the last two years – total duration 6 years.
Classes take place on the Wits Campus in Braamfontein between 17:30 and 21:00 on weekdays – a student will attend a maximum of 3 classes per week.
Classes will commence in the week of 5 February 2018.
The following documents can be downloaded by clicking on the links below:
Course Outlines (2.6MB)